Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Cultural Prescription


My name is Ashley Gentry, I am a 21 year old Caucasian female residing in Birmingham, AL. I am a junior at UAB majoring in Psychology and minoring in Sociology. I am currently enrolled in Anthropology 101 in which one of the assignments is to have a culture blog. In this culture blog I will write about places I visit, events I attend, and things I experience that expose me to cultures that are different from my own and that may make me a little uneasy since I will not be in my "comfort zone".
So, before I start describing my cultural experiences for the semester I will talk a little about my personal culture. As I said before I am a Caucasian female, I come from Scottish and English descent but that is not a big part of my life at all. My parents, grandparents, great grandparents, and probably long before that were born in North America; Alabama to be more specific. I have lived in Alabama all of my life, although I have traveled throughout the United States, Mexico, Canada, and the Carribean Islands. I speak English fluently and very limited Spanish. I come from a middle class family. I was raised Protestant, specifically Southern Baptist; however, I am not a very religious person now. I do read a lot about different religious practices and study Buddhism more so than other religions. My sexual orientation in heterosexual. I work in a mental health facility called Hillcrest Behavioral Health and in childcare at the YMCA. My future plans are to attend graduate school to become a therapist.

No comments:

Post a Comment